Saturday, July 12, 2008

Earthships and Earthbags

While Earthships are totally cool they are expensive. Earthbag homes are more affordable. I read that you can berm earth on 3 sides of an earthbag home to get the same temperature stabilizing affect that you get in an Earthship.

The other thing I like about Earthbag homes is that you can build them and add electric and plumbing later. The are also VERY similar to the the homes that the Native American used to live in in Southeastern America.

Jamie has contacted the Earthship folks to inquire about volunteering to learn to build one. This information will be very valuable no matter what sort of shelters we build. For example, She can teach the rest of us and we can be a mobile Earthship building team. It would be a good way to make money until travel is no longer possible.

This earthbag house cost $920 to build not including windows and doors:
http://www.networkearth.org/naturalbuilding/honey.html

10 comments:

rickratt said...

Very interesting concepts.

rickratt said...

Interesting concepts.

Unknown said...

A group of us are currently constructing an earthbag home near Ponca, AR. It's the newest contruction at Arco Iris Earthcare Project. We have similar goals of putting together a team to build these all over the world. Progress on the home is slow for now, but we are gaining speed and very open to more participation! Blessings

Eric

Total Wellness said...

I would like to know where this community stands. Did it flourish or fizzle? I am super interested in belonging to a community such as this and my family and I are ready to contribute.

Unknown said...

Hey Guys. I am From the Ozarks and have extensive earthbag building experience. Even an eco-brick construction project too! If you want to see some more examples of eco-building check out my page at: http://aaronchevalley.com/

Thanks!

Unknown said...

My wife and I are thinking about building an earthbag house would love to talk to you about it can you call me at 501-944-3897 my name is Paul

Unknown said...

Would love to come and see it ! My wife and I are wanting to build one . We are trying to do alt of research on it . Can you call me 501-944-3897 please my name is Paul

YOGAforALL said...

I'm in the area and would love to pay a visit to see what you've accomplished. I'll be looking forward to your response. I am most interested in these types of buildings and would like to accomplish one myself in in Newton County.

Surrealove said...

Greetings, is the Earthbag house complete? I am seeking land/friends/community to settle on Arkansas. I would love to connect and gain information.

Thanks and have a good day.

Blogger said...

Vinyl on its own provides an exceptional low-maintenance exterior for any window. Vinyl windows are durable and provide a substantial value.

Click here to contact the most recommended Vinyl Window Installers - in your location.